Fire crews take control of billabong estate blaze that destroyed dozens of properties after massive fire broke out in Nong Kong neighbourhood, Mong Kok
At least 24 people were killed and around 100 people have been treated at various hospitals after a massive blaze broke out in one of the most prosperous housing developments in central Hong Kong, police sa도박id Monday.
The blaze in Nong Kong neighbourhood of Hong Kong’s financial district destroyed dozens of buildings, destroyed or damaged hundreds more and forced local authorities to evacuate hundreds o출장f homes and businesses.
No official estimate of the number of deaths was available but officials warned it coul해운대출장샵 해운대출장마사지d rise.
A video on a local TV station showed a man standing by a fire that was raging outside a luxury building near the complex. His legs, chest and arm were visibly burnt.
Firefighters said they were using heavy equipment to contain the blaze on Nong Kong Street between Macau Lane and Mong Kok Road, at the corner of Mong Kok Boulevard, in the South of the city.
“At least 24 people were killed and around 100 people have been treated at various hospitals at different hospitals,” one police officer told CNN. “It is too early to say how many people died and how many are hospitalized.”
Firefighters were unable to enter and evacuate all the residents in the complex because it was too dangerous.
The fire started in a warehouse space, then spread to an apartment block next door. Authorities warned residents to stay away from the building’s upper floors while the fire broke out.
Some residents said they were terrified. One woman said the blaze spread so rapidly she didn’t even know how to identify the location of the fire before the firemen started clearing debris from a nearby alleyway.
But the fire spread quickly and thick smoke was drifting into the skies over Hong Kong from Nong Kong Street and nearby areas.
Hong Kong-based local media reported that about 60 houses were completely destroyed and about 80 others damaged.
A man who lives on the block told CNN that he and his father were trying to flee when the fire started.
“As I was driving down that street, flames just surrounded all the windows and the whole building was just ablaze,” he said.
Inspector General of Civil Defence Wing David Chan said the fire was caused by a gas leak and it could be out within hours.
At the scene
Witnesses told CNN that the flames came from a dumpster in the building adjacent to the warehouse.
Firefighters and rescue workers quickly set abou